Work began on building Christ Church in 1837 under the guidance of Architect Edmund Sharp. The stone was quarried locally at nearby Cox Green Quarry and the wealth of Stonemasons in the area were on hand to carry out the cutting and carving of the material and to erect a handsome edifice to the Glory of God.

The site of the Church was said to be an ancient barrow or Saxon burial ground and various relics were discovered by workmen when excavating the foundations.

Noteworthy are the pillars of the Church, 10 in number; each one 16 feet high and carved from a single block of stone making a very impressive feature. The roof is of grey slate.

Two years later on the 3rd October 1839, the new Christ Church, Walmsley was consecrated by the Rt. Rev John Bird Sumner, Lord Bishop of Chester (later to become Archbishop of Canterbury). Worthy of note is the fact that it was consecrated free of debt, having cost £3,557. The Organ and Gallery were added 4 years later at a cost of £392.

In 1867, the Church was enlarged by the addition of the Chancel, two Transepts, an organ chamber and a clergy vestry. The organ was removed from the gallery, enlarged and placed in a new organ chamber. The beauty of the Church was enhanced beyond measure. It is presumed that the beautiful five light East window, which depicts the principal events in the life of our Lord, was incorporated at this time. It is a memorial to the Slater family.

The Church has a rich heritage of stained glass windows, too numerous to mention. The interior walls are of a plaster finish and painted. The pews and balcony are constructed of pitch pine.

The Church position is such that it can be seen for miles around – with its splendid Tower and Pinnacles. It is situated on the A666 Bolton to Blackburn Road.

The Church is surrounded by a very large graveyard.

The Church is a Grade II listed building in a conservation area.

© Copyright 2016–2018 Walmsley Parish – View Privacy Notice